The definition of an E cigarettes or an electronic cigarettes is the act of stimulating tobacco smoking by using an electronic inhaler that vaporizes a liquid solution into an aerosol mist. The electric cigarette came out on the market in the U.S. in 2007 as an alternative to tobacco. The e cigarettes don’t have tobacco in them instead they have a mechanism in them that heats up liquid nicotine and this turns into to that a vapor that you can inhale and exhale if you are a smoker.
10 facts about E cigarettes:
1. Secondhand vapor – that E cigarettes do make secondhand vapor although they don’t make secondhand smoke. The manufacturers of this say that it is water vapor and therefore it is harmless. The elderly and people with certain medical conditions should not be subjected to secondhand vapor until it has been proven safe for everyone including children. Sensitive people especially those with health conditions have reported that it affects their breathing and makes them nauseated.
2. Public places –the marketing of the electronic cigarette says that you can smoke the e cigarette anywhere in that they are no health risks. This is because there is no secondhand smoke. But, the e cigarettes have not been tested thoroughly and in some countries have been banned.
3. Not regulated by the FDA – the manufacturers of e cigarettes say that they are recreational and therefore should not be regulated by the FDA. The e cigarettes have to be labeled as a drug delivery device before the FDA can regulate them.
4. Maintenance required – although the e cigarettes use a battery and is reusable you still have to charge the battery. Some people say that you have to charge it too often. You also have to supply the cartridges with the liquid by refilling an empty one or putting a new one in. You have to buy the nicotine liquid.
5. They are expensive –the e cigarettes come in different prices depending on the style, model and manufacturer. You can buy a starter kit that will include several cartridges, a battery and the e cigarette device. But the cost could be anywhere from $60.00 to $150. Each cartridge is equal to a pack of e cigarettes so even if you buy a pack of five cartridges the price will be around $10.00. To cut the cost you can refill the cartridge by buying the liquid in bulk.
6. Not kid friendly – due to the fact that the nicotine cartridges come in many different flavors they have a special appeal for the kids. The flavors are bubblegum, strawberry, caramel, and chocolate. Also it is easier for the kids to buy them online because they don’t have to show proof of their age like they do when they buy tobacco cigarettes.
7. The makers and Sellers – the e cigarettes that were originally made in China but are now made by several companies in the United States instead of having to import them.
8. Nicotine levels – the nicotine in an e cigarette can be more or as much as a regular cigarette. It depends on and much liquid nicotine you put in it and the cartridges come in different strengths. You can also buy cartridges that contain liquid that does not contain nicotine.
9. Safety concerns – the health experts and regulatory agencies haven’t decided whether the e cigarette is safe or not. The FDA is worried about the side effects of inhaling pure nicotine. Also the FDA is concerned about the manufacturers not disclosing all the chemicals that they’re using.
10. No smoking – although the e cigarettes would just like regular e cigarettes you don’t need a match or lighter to use them. There won’t be a smell while you’re smoking because nothing will be burning. All you have to do is inhale to get the nicotine to your lungs.